Justice Professor Innocent Umezulike (OFR, FCIArb) was the Chief Judge of Enugu State for over 13 years, remarkably the longest serving Chief Judge in South Eastern Nigeria and the second longest serving Chief Judge in Nigeria.
Justice Professor Umezulike was an acclaimed legal luminary on Conveyancing, Adverse Possession, Land and Property Law haven single-handedly authored and published over 23 books in these fields. Justice Professor Umezulike passed away at a private hospital in London, United Kingdom surrounded by his beloved children. The family requests for privacy and respect at this very difficult time.
Justice Professor Innocent Umezulike’s during his lifetime would be remembered for receiving over 100 distinguished Legal Honour and Awards.
He was the;
- Longest serving Chief Judge in South Eastern Nigeria and the second longest serving Chief Judge in Nigeria.
- Professor of Land and Property Law.
- Distinguished Justice of Enugu State High Court for over 23 years.
- Appointed by the Federal Government of Nigeria to serve at the Supreme Court of Gambia in 1997.
- Conferred with the Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (OFR).
- President and Chairman Failed Banks Tribunal Zone 6 Nigeria.
- Chairman Visitation Panel to Enugu State University of Science and Technology.
- Chairman judicial panel of inquiry on land distribution and allocation in Enugu state.
- Chairman judicial inquiry on adoration ground tragedy.
- Chairman Judicial Service Commission (JSC).
- Chairman Comprehensive Judicial Inquiry on Land distribution in Enugu State.
- Sub-Dean Faculty of Law, Nnamdi Azikiwe University.
- Visiting Professor of Property Law, Ebonyi State Nigeria.
- Visiting Professor of Property Law, Enugu State University of Science and Technology.
- Secretary, National Committee for the Unification of Criminal Laws of Northern and Southern Nigeria.
- Secretary Ministerial Committee for the Revision of the Land Use Act.
- Senior Special Adviser to the Attorney General of Federation of Nigeria.
- Distinguished Senior Legal Adviser to the Nigerian Television Authority.
- Secretary, Task Force on Company Incorporated by Guarantee in Nigeria.
- National Leader, Nigerian Delegation to African legal consultative assembly held in Kampala Uganda.
- Over 100 distinguished Legal Honour and Awards for excellence in service.
The funerals arrangements would follow shortly.